|The gaps left after installation and visible screw heads|
Because we were planning on using aluminum trim around the doors and galley hatch, we though the easiest solution would be to carry on with that them. Another thought, was to find a metal that was actually magnetic so that it would allow us to hang things from the trim - it could be attractive and functional. Darrell ended up finding a sheet of galvanized thin gauge steel that he cut into 1 1/2" wide and 1" wide strips. The 1 1/2" wide strips were sized to cover the larger seams and side gaps. The 1" wide strips were perfect to cover up the exposed screw heads.
After cutting the strips to the length needed, we used a file to smooth the edges and then pre-drilled holes at the attachment points. We attached the metal strips to the plywood using construction adhesive and twist nails. These were perfect, not only because the spiral flutes would prevent the nails from working themselves out, but the heads were actually rounded which added a nice detail.
The finished product covered everything up perfectly and really gave the interior a custom look. Darrell says it looks like a wine barrel, but I think a whiskey barrel is a cooler description :)
Note: To install the trim more easily, we took off the reading lights, but they had already been wired so we left them hanging for the time being. Hopefully they will be put back soon!