December 30, 2011

The trailer frame

So we know it has been a few weeks since the last post, not much has been going on except for the project beginning, which I guess could be considered a big deal. I did a lot of research and determined that the best bang for my buck in relation to the trailer would be to either purchase a completed trailer already assembled or a bolt together type.

We decided to purchase the harbor freight 1720lb 4’ x 8’ utility trailer as it seemed the best fit for this project. And at $350 bucks it is hard to pass up.

While it isn’t the greatest design or construction (As I learned when we were assembling it) it should suit us just fine with what we are going to be creating. I’ve found a few photos of people creating teardrops on this exact trailer, which gave us some hope.

We got the trailer on Dec 10th and assembled it on the 11th. (I am a little late on this post I’m just realizing as it is now the 30th!) The holidays are a hectic time, so that is my excuse.

We started by laying out all of the parts, it was quite an event which took us most of the day to get completed.

They were actually kind of smart in the design based off of supplying all bolts with a ny-lok nut to them, that way I didn’t have to go around with lok-tite and ensure that none of them ever fall out. This was one of my biggest worries as we are thinking of totally encapsulating the trailer in the design.

We assembled as per the instructions, tightening as we go, the most important part is to ensure that the trailer is square when it is completed.

A bit later that afternoon right before it got dark we had one partially completed trailer!

And this is how Rebecca celebrates, by sitting on our achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment